Monday, May 9, 2011

‘All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother’ - Abe Lincoln



Dear Mom,

I don't think any mother is fully appreciated by her daughter until she becomes one herself. This was true for me. I gained such a deeper understanding about who you are when I became a mother myself.

Webster's lists several definitions for mother, but the first one that is universally accepted is: A woman who has given birth to a child.

That is not a mother. That is a pro-creator in my interpretation. There is a second definition, however, that lists it's use as a noun representing a condition that is the inspiration for an activity or situation, such as: "necessity is the mother of invention". Inspiration.. hmm now that hits the nail on the head for what defines a true mother to me.


You are my inspiration. I can't even find a comparison. That is not to say we do not have our personality differences or that our paths always run parallel to eachother, or that there are not many moments when we drive each other nuts.. cause sometimes we do! But you motivate me in ways that no other have or ever will. You make me a better person just for knowing you. This blog actually came to be because I needed a better place to communicate with you this year, overcoming the hurdle of distance and your hearing challenges. I needed to be able to share the raw emotions I had along the way. You are my best friend and in high and low times... that is when you need your best friend.. to share things. Thank you for sharing my life in high and low times, mom.

During what seemed a perfect and adventurous childhood, through very hard years after losing dad, to the journey of your battle and victory over cancer, you have absolutely amazed me. You carried us with all with your optimistic, hopeful spirit. You still do.

I love you more than I can ever tell you. I love that we are different. I love that you challenge me and sometimes even point out my failures and flaws. I love that you bolster my confidence and you embrace and support my decisions. I love that you put my children and their cousins first .. always. Our friendship has been the suprise of my life. God had a plan for the two of us..oil and water at times, yes, but together through thick and thin. Always.

The greatest way in which you amaze and inspire me is in how dynamic you are in adapting to the peaks and valleys of life. You are hardly the same woman I grew up thinking I knew. God had a part in that. He knew there would come a time for you and me.


What I learned most from you over the years is about rising to the occasion. The footprints you have left in the sand have been like breadcrumbs for my own hike into unchartered territory. Thank you for being you... and for loving me. I love you. You are beautiful inside and out.

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. I love your posts! So well put! You and your mom are very special people

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. Your Mom IS an amazing woman - she shaped and infused a lot of magic into my childhood, too. <3

    ReplyDelete